Friday, April 23, 2010

What You See, Isn't Always What You Get

I love the idea that anything can have any perspective. It messes things up for a lot of people who like straight answers, and I love the artist who takes the high road and says that a straight answer is nothing but bullshit. In class we looked a lot at Georges Braque, and a lot of his stuff is really cool, but even more so, I like the things that David Hockney has done. When talking about modernistic styles and perspective in chapter four, there is an awesome note about Hockney's "Pearlblosson Hwy." The way we look at things from person to person is what I'm really getting out of the class so far, and so who better to look at than some of David Hockney's works?



My favorite Hockney while researching some of his works was Place Furstenberg, Paris. It's photographic collage that contains a lot of the same elements that Braque's paintings do. Also, in most of Hockney's paintings, he uses a lot of greens and blues, bringing out the cooler to colors to give us a more natural look of sky and earth. Modernistic styles have grabbed my attention more than anything so far in this class outside of Edward Hopper's works, but I think it's a matter of opinion. I only enjoy ceratin impressionstic and cubic pieces, but really like a lot of the abstract work, especially in what we saw out of Marla in the film today. I look forward to seeing some more of her work, and comparing with other artists in the genre.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic connection between Hockney and Braque!
    You are seeing the big picture here Emily.
    Keep up the wonderful work.
    -evelyn davis, professor

    ReplyDelete