Sunday, April 11, 2010

If You're a Movie Buff, Flex Your Movie Muscle


So, if critics think that James Stewart character is the equivalent to a movie audience, then as a movie buff what does that make me? I'm not sure that I like the word "voyeur," because according to most dictionaries it usually has some sort of sexual reference involved. However, to use it's second definition as "an obsessive observer," well then I'm willing to buy into the idea a little bit.

However, you can't tell me that Alfred Hitchcock made that movie without the audience in mind. In fact, what good director, producer, actor, writer, etc. makes a movie without keeping in mind the effects (positive or negative) it will have on popular culture? So I can't really believe that as a movie buff, I'm supposed to be ashamed of what I'm watching, simply because it was MADE for me to watch.

Movies are so iconic and widespread across so many different cultures that it seems nearly impossible to me to believe that I'm not supposed to feel something for the movie. For example, to me, Matthew Broderick will forever and always be Ferris Bueller, despite any other movie he's ever been in. Same thing for Judy Garland as Dorthy in the Wizard of Oz, or Marlon Brando as The Godfather. It's what makes movies what they are today, what builds up things like the Oscars, summer blockbusters, and the glory there is in having a massive DVD collection. (I would personally know.)

So here I am with a few more photographs, because I love how photography captures a moment for us, and probably will forever share photos on this blog, proving my point. If you're a movie buff, and serve as the audience member as a hobby, then flex your movie muscles and show that without the audience, the movie industry would hardly exist.


1 comment:

  1. Excellent side of voyeurism as an "obsessive observer" aren't we all who love movies! good job!!
    -evelyn davis, professor

    ReplyDelete